Sunday, May 10, 2009

A pinch of salt

Today I was reading a post by the über talented blogger friend Ivan from Meade Design Group and all of a sudden I felt the urge to comment deviating from the subject, which was about style and shape of salt and pepper shakers.
I would have gone on for much longer with my comment, perhaps talking about salt used to preserve food until only recently, when ice boxes and fridges came finally to our houses, but I had to refrain myself. If you would read my comment on that post you would also find my question:
Why do we call shakers those little creatures on the table? Why do we need to shake salt and pepper? we use "a pinch" for cooking and we used for centuries a "tiny spoon" to add salt on a dish already on a table. Now we have shakers of all shapes and sizes. I own a pair myself but they are part of a tiny collection of elves from the '40s.

Picture 040
varie 011

Going back to Ivan's post I like also the way it starts...it is true that how we set a table can speak about our personality, paper or linen napkins to start and all you can think of, after that.
I don't know how to define my personality but I certainly love to set the table in a certain way if just only for myself! I always liked to celebrate food in an appropriate way.
I also believe that sitting down every day for a meal with your children or your family is a way to celebrate life together.
What do you think?

You may like to read also
A restaurant in Milan
and please, don't forget to read my new blog on Travel

7 comments:

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Hi! Albarosa,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment in my blog today and for mentioning our name in this post.

Yesterday while I was doing a bit of research I had the question in my mind - how come people come to use shakers? - I found out that people use to have cellars where they keep the salt, pepper and other spices and they were highly regarded, and it was not until Victorian times that high society started using salt and peppers and in the 1940's after the war it was almost like a mini industrial revolution where salt and pepper shakers where mass produce.

After I read your entry I remember that in my home in México we used to have a silver tray with 3 little dishes and 3 little spoons - one for salt, one for pepper and one for mustard.

My family was and is super conservative I was not able to seat in the big table for important celebrations until I had proper manners. I remember I spent several Christmas seating in a little table next to the the big table until I was 10 and I "graduate in manners" and then I was able to seat wit of the rest the family. All the family made me feel special.

One of the things I noticed when I came to Canada (NO OFFENSE - I love Canada and Canadians) but I have to say that for me was almost like a cultural shock to find out that a first class country had such a lack of good manners in the table. I remember that one of my aunts used to say good manners are the same here and in the rest of the world - if you have good manners in the table you can seat with anybody and make anybody comfortable. Good manners are mostly to made the people around you comfortable.

I love your salt and pepper shakers they are really whimsical and fun, and they have a great story in behind.

Brillante Interiors said...

ooohhh! I think salt and pepper really makes it for the longest comments (mine on your post and yours on mine). This is what blooging should be, exchanges of opinions, old memories, new ideas, good conversation.
Thanks Ivan

Michelle said...

LOL...we also had a kids table Ivan. Our family...not so conservative, but still, everything revolved around food, since my mom is a caterer.

Albarosa...I have noticed and appreciate the way you celebrate simple food...and the panna cotta you make is such a lovely way to end a meal. Of course, a little Frangelico is ok with it too :)

I love your S&P shakers...I think we get joy from remembering the stories. Nostalgia runs deep!

Thanks again for dinner...it was a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach!!

Ciao,
Michelle

Maria Killam said...

I think your salt & pepper shakers are 'you' just like Ivan said!! Fun post!

cotedetexas said...

Ivan - yes - a kids table is pretty standard around the world probably, but good manners aren't! I wasn't taught great table manners until I went to college and dated someone over my 'social ranking' - boy did i get a quick lesson, something I have never forgotten and something that I have tried to teach my daughter. good discussion!!!

Katherine Lee said...

Thank you so much for the kind words and comment over at Urban Flea! I've added you to my blogroll and would be thrilled if you could do the same for Urban Flea! As for the post, I definitely agree that family meals together make a huge difference. Some of my favorite memories are around our big old dinner table. Wonderful post!
xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)
www.urbanfleadesign.com

katiedid said...

We also had a children's table, but only when my parents entertained. My mother is still in command of manners instruction when she visits our house for dinner, and I can only hope my children are listening.

Thanks for the visit to my blog Albarosa! And very cute shakers!

 
Clicky Web Analytics